Sunday, July 22, 2012

Sleep Study Results

I'm feeling a bit mad that we didn't check into a sleep study for Cailyn much earlier. I think I always assumed that she didn't snore so she probably didn't have apnea. Of course, I was wrong.

Cailyn has moderate to severe apnea, a form of restless leg syndrome, mismatched breathing where her chest and belly don't rise and fall together and she's retaining carbon dioxide while she sleeps. Basically her weak and floppy muscles extend to her diaphragm and esophagus so she can't push air out hard enough to snore but the airway tissue is loose and closes in on itself.

First step is an evaluation with an ENT to see about surgery, tonsil and adenoid removal. Then she goes for a second sleep study because they feel she'll have apnea even if they do remove her tonsils. This means a cpap machine for sleeping. How we keep that on a 4-year-old while she's sleeping is beyond me.

It all makes sense and as I said I'm a little angry I didn't think of it sooner.

No comments: